Sterile Field

My years as a surgical resident.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

#36: Thanksgiving

I just got back from Thanksgiving vacation; it was great to visit with family and to meet my new niece! My brother and his wife are new parents to a baby girl now barely over one week old and as cute as could be. The new generation of Maturins has just begun!

However, in order to take vacation I had to take call the day before Thanksgiving and then take call on the Saturday night after Thanksgiving. The good news is that Saturday night call the weekend of Thanksgiving seems to be a pretty quiet night. There is really nothing for me to do other than watch Kevin Costner movies on TV and you know you have to be bored out of your mind to do that.

Call on Tuesday night before Thanksgiving was pretty cool. I had one easy admission at 7 PM and I assisted on a short case at around 10 PM. Despite that, I was still busy until 2 AM so I didn't get much sleep. We'll see how much sleep I can get tonight - the intern on last night claims to have slept for 5 uninterrupted hours.

Last call night Tuesday November 21st.
Amount of sleep 2 hours.
Currently reading: Stiff (a novel about corpses - really it's a lot more interesting and less macabre than it sounds.)
Currently watching: Dances with Wolves AND Robin Hood. I can't believe there are two Kevin Costner movies on at once.
Next call night: Saturday November 25st.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home