Sterile Field

My years as a surgical resident.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cannot... Wait... For... Vacation...

Well, I made it through two more call nights. The first was Jan 5th and the second was Jan 8th. It was nice having four days off from Jan 1st through 4th, but it seems like all I do is call these days. I'm on vacation after this upcoming week and I can't wait. I have three major goals during vacation: 1) get my life in order 2) study for ABSITE and 3) take my USMLE Step 3 exam. Not necessarily in that order.

I've been keeping stats on the calls, and now it's kind of funny that my co-residents and attendings ask me how many pages I got on the morning after call. I know it's geeky to keep track, but still I keep doing it. I had 72 pages on Jan 5th and 69 pages on Jan 8th. On Jan 5th I had 18 new patients and on Jan 8th I had 12 new patients.

The highlight of the two calls was doing a case at 6:30 AM on Jan 6th for perforated appendicitis. My attending kept thinking we were going to have to open but I managed do the case without attending help and kept it laparoscopic instead of open. The guy left the hospital on post-op day #3 and did very well. I hope he doesn't come back with an abscess.

Next calls: Monday, Jan 12th and Friday, Jan 16th.

Can't wait for vacation.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home