Sterile Field

My years as a surgical resident.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

#44: Back to work / New Year's resolutions

Yes, yes. I know I have become the world's worst blogger lately. I had two crazy weeks of a new rotation in early January and have been on vacation for a week now. I was supposed to write this blog two weeks ago in which I meant to write about my New Year's Resolutions which included:

1) Blog in a more timely manner.
2) Work out on non-call days.
3) Clean up the house better.

So far none of items #1 through #3 have been accomplished. Oh well.

The first night of call after New Year's wasn't too bad. I started on a new (old) service which is Surgery Oncology, which I previously rotated through in the second month of internship. This time around it's a lot easier because I am working with another intern where I had previously worked by myself. However, it is a little harder in a sense because there are three 4th year residents who are out of work right now for various reasons and that includes the resident that should be working on our service. As a result, the other intern and I are scrambling around trying to do all the floor work as well as covering some of the cases.

This is great because it means that we get much more operative experience, however, we feel like every other second some one is calling us to help out somewhere yet we can't fill every request. So we've learned to prioritize responsibilities.

Look for more blogs in the upcoming days as I continue to be on vacation.

Last call night: Tuesday January 2nd
Amount of sleep: I don't remember.
Currently reading: ABSITE Review.
Currently watching: Miami Heat versus New York Knicks (live at the Heat Arena!)
Currently listenintg to: My wife playing piano.
Next call night: Saturday January 6nd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home