Sterile Field

My years as a surgical resident.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Vacation!

Whew. Finally made it to vacation. It's been good so far - going out for dinner at a very nice restaurant post-call to celebrate and spending the day with my wife on Sunday. Unfortunately, I'm not doing very much over the vacation other than catching up on Things That Need To Be Taken Care Of, like taking USMLE Step 3 and finishing cleaning out our old house which finally is under contract after one year on the market.

I had two calls, on Monday, Jan 12th and Friday, Jan 16th. Monday's call was probably easier, with 43 pages, 14 consults, and 4 cases (I&D buttock, lap chole, and 2 lap appy.) Friday's call had 64 pages, 16 consults, and 4 cases (lap chole, washout and closure of knife wounds, a grueling 6 hour long common bile duct exploration, and a lap appy.) Then on Saturday morning, we did a 2 hour long lap chole for acute cholecystitis on someone who came in the day before. The gallbladder was about 8 inches long by 3 inches wide and filled with huge gallstones. Normally, the resident on-call on Saturday is supposed to do the case, but I like doing that case and it was someone who I had admitted, so I scrubbed.

I think I need a vacation - my last one was in July.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home